About the Ronin 2The Ronin 2 built on the success and designs of the Ronin, Ronin-M and Ronin-MX. DJI kept the key features but hugely increased functionality for the user. Designed for any film set, the Ronin 2 puts creative control completely in the hands of the user.
Key FeaturesLet’s take a look at some of the key features of the 3-axis camera stabiliser, the Ronin 2:
- The Ronin 2 has motorised stabilisation at speeds of up to 75 mph, in high winds and in G-force conditions
- The setup is quick and easy for the gimbal including its balancing
- The Ronin has access to DJI's intelligent feature modes including panorama, time-lapse and CamAnchor, giving greater control to the user
- A payload of up to 30lbs can be mounted – to see a list of the compatible cameras, head to the ‘Compatible Payloads’ section below
- The Ronin 2 features an ultra-bright display monitor
- The Ronin 2 is comprised of carbon fibre with splash and dust proofing motor covers
- A dedicated joystick remote controller and Gimbal Assistant app can be used to control the Ronin 2 with a range of up to 0.6 miles
- Powered by a high-performance dual battery system with hot-swap capabilities and a self-heating function for use in temperatures as low as -20°C
- Integrated GPS with unique algorithms for accurate performance
Compatible PayloadsThe Ronin 2 is fully compatible with a range of cameras, offering full integration and a power supply to the following:
- RED Dragon
- ARRI Alexa Mini
- Black Magic Ursa Mini
- Canon C300
- Sony FS7
Compatible RigsThe Ronin 2 can be used with its standard grip as well as the following rigs:
- Ready Rig GS & ProArm Kit – Helps distribute the weight of the Ronin and the payload for increased functionality.
- Cable Cam – For fast moving aerial shots.
- Car Mount – For fast moving chase scenes such as car chases.
- Jib – For aerial shots from a fixed location.
- Steadicam – For shots with increased stability.
- Drones – For fast moving aerial shots - unsure of product release timeframe.
Time and Motion Films ReviewAs we mentioned above, we lent the Ronin 2 to our customer, Adam the Director of Time and Motion Films, to give us his expert opinion from a Camera Operator and Timelapser’s perspective. Take a look at Adam’s first ever video review featuring the Ronin 2: https://youtu.be/45C-2YAHoZA Adam used the Ronin 2 with a Sony FS7 to film his dog, Mable, following her through the woods to test out the functionality of the Ronin 2. Here are some of the highlights mentioned in the review:
- The carry case is great for long journeys as it protects the Ronin but may not be necessary if travelling by car
- The Ronin 2 is a massive improvement on the design of the original Ronin
- Balancing the gimbal is quick and easy
- Benefits from remote and app control, rather than just the app
- Multiple power outlets and cables included in the package
- The universal mount allows versatile use of the Ronin 2
- The Ronin 2 is heavy to use with the weight of the Sony FS7 – highly recommends the Ready Rig GS & ProArm Kit for weight distribution and easier movement
Heliguy ReviewThe Heliguy Team also had the chance to check out the Ronin 2. Here’s another opportunity to see our video review: https://youtu.be/Qe1gtT5DR-4 Subscribe to the Heliguy YouTube channel to make sure you don't miss any of our future videos including our regular live streams. Here are some of the Heliguy Team’s key features of the Ronin 2:
- The Ronin 2 is a robust, user-friendly and versatile gimbal
- The Ronin 2 gives users the ability to create smooth video making it perfect for filmmakers
- The use of a field monitor will help users frame their shots
- It’s recommended you read the user manual to assist with the setup
- Due to the weight of the Ronin 2, a two-person operation is required to hold the gimbal and use the remote - Ready Rig GS & ProArm Kit recommended by the Heliguy Team
SummaryThe Ronin 2 has proven to be a remarkable piece of equipment that can add value to any film set. It’s versatile, reliable and highly functional and would be a great addition to a filmmaker’s kit. The only downside is its weight when using a heavy payload, however, using a Ready Rig GS & ProArm Kit will help distribute the weight and make use of the Ronin 2 easier. Overall, it's a highly recommended gimbal with an impressive performance.
For more information on the Ronin 2, or to discuss any DJI or Freefly products, give a member of our Sales Team a call on 0191 296 1024 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep checking back to Heliguy’s Insider Blog for more announcements, insights into drones and, of course, the latest news from the drone industry.